Steady As She Goes
stacked from ceiling to floor with airplane models.
My life's hobby, staring back at me, thinly enclosed in a layer of dust.
My life's work, out in the world on their own now.
My baby girl, my only daughter, beginning life on her own.
My son, following in my footsteps.
My son, my firstborn.
Just a few years ago, we were all at the zoo, laughing at monkeys.
Just a few moments ago, my son was showing me his first lost tooth.
Just a few seconds ago, my daughter was hugging me, swearing she'd never let me go again.
Where did the time go?
I rub my eyes, my contacts irritating them again.
I stare at their pictures, remembering how many moments I missed.
Moments, I can never get back.
The sound of their laughter, forever trapped in a moment, and I wasn't there to hear the beautiful melody.
The times they cried from a scrape or bruise I couldn't kiss.
The secrets and adventures a young soul has, all that, I missed.
I tried my hardest to be there, I did.
My wife spent so many nights alone.
I was so far away from my family, my home.
I did all that I could, they know that.
They know I love them, God knows I love them.
And now, my son, has chosen the same.
He doesn't have a family yet, he doesn't understand
The sacrifices it took to be a military man.
How proud he was, in that uniform.
How handsome, my son, and so grown up.
24. He's already twenty-four.
He's only four, staring up at me.
Playing in my uniform, my helmet, boots, and hat.
One day, he says, I'll be like you
That day has come
And there he goes
Sailing into the sea
An old sea-dog, just like me.
No comments:
Post a Comment