Sunday, February 28, 2016

Nine

Nine years. Sometimes, I think
I'll forget. The day will perhaps
pass unnoticed.
I check the
weather, to see
how reminded I will be that day,
just in case I happen to forget.
This year, it will
be storming.
A direct
flashback. Nine... Nine
years ago, nine lives, nine seconds...


it's all it took,                        you know.
So quick,                        but so everlasting.
I write to                            cope. I know
that later,                             I will watch
the videos, cry nine hundred tears, and
ask myself for the nine millionth time
why. And for another day, I will have no
answer. It took                     them three years
to rebuild a new                    school, which is
1/3 of the time                      that they've been gone.
The new stadium,                 now six years old,
is what they                           call home. All some
subset of the                        number: 9.

             Teens now walk the halls carefree,
          unaware that they have 9 guardian angels.
        I wonder sometimes if they know
   the stories, if they
   saw the specials.
         If the current 10th graders
                  know that 9 years ago,
                      8 lives were lost, in the year
                            07, throughout
                                  6 sections of a
                                    school, 5 times
                                            the sirens echoed,
                                          an EF 4 tornado, where
                                                3 held a wall,
                                        clinging 2 hope, that no 1
                                      would die.  I hope those
                                  that know, share the 8 lost,
                                the 1 sometimes forgotten.
We are here       to share their joy. Keep light.
Steadfast, loyal, brave, and true. Year by
         year, go marching onward.






No comments:

Post a Comment