This is what keeps me going.
She’s
gonna learn that this life will hit you, hard, in the face, wait for you to get
back up so it can kick you in the stomach.
For anyone who has spoken to me in the past few
months, you know. I'm struggling. I'm sinking-no, that's too cliche-
sinking implies that there is an end. I am completely decaying. I've been
losing bits and pieces of myself for weeks on ends. My soul and passion has
been rotting away, and my body has physically deteriorated. Mentally, my brain
resembled a filter; absorbing nothing, losing everything but the bit that
weighs the most. Defeat comes streaming from the top of my skull.
There
is hurt, here, that cannot be fixed by band-aids or poetry, so the first time
she realizes that Wonder-woman isn’t coming, I’ll make sure she knows she
doesn’t have to wear the cape all by herself.
Basically, this job is so much harder than I ever
could have imagined. For weeks on end I have been going nonstop, being pulled
in more directions than I thought possible. I never want to hear my last name
screamed across a hallway again. I have taken on so much that my shoulders have
forgotten how it feels to be weightless; I tried to jump to remember joy but my
feet have forgotten how to leave the ground for even that brief moment of
liberty; gravity, you see, demands I behave. It has laws, and laws must be
followed.
When
you open your hands to catch and wind up with only blisters and bruises. When
you step out of the phone booth and try to fly and the very people you wanna
save are the ones standing on your cape.
I by no means thought I would save my students. For
all of the reasons that I decided to commit to Teach for America, the
"white hero" complex was never one of them. I joined because I wanted
to fix the educational system - I wanted students to know that there is so much
more to learning and life than tests and a number assigned to you. I wanted
them to know that someone cared for them and saw them as human beings, whether
they believed it or not. I wanted them to learn about the world, not just about
memorizing things for a test. That's what I wanted.
As I say now, "real talk": The American
educational system has failed almost every child involved in the public
schools, and now I've been made to feel as if it is my responsibility to fix it
all for the 45 faces I stare at every day. But how can you want to go into
battle for people who seem bent on self destruction, and are taking you down a
step every time you encounter them? I am becoming a person I cannot
stand-someone I swore I would never be. On top of that, just like every other
educator, I find myself in the political crossfire. There are only so many
write-ups you can have; you have to make sure you have certain things to
display in the classroom; there are only so many students you can fail,
according to the state-whether your students are mastering the content or not.
And this has happened to them over and over. How else does someone reach the
9th grade on a 4th grade reading level?
Because
no matter how wide you stretch your fingers, your hands will always be too
small to catch all the pain you want to heal. Believe me, I’ve tried. When
your boots will fill with rain and you’ll be up to your knees in disappointment
So I saw
the reality of my classroom. I saw the daily chaos that is a classroom
environment for my students. I've witnessed the threats and violence firsthand and have the marks to prove it. And I thought to myself: how? How has this
happened? More importantly, what do I do about it?
I have
been scared, I have sobbed, I have been scarred, I have screamed, and I have
succumb to failure-more times than I care to count. And I know that the next
day, I will more than likely do the same thing over again.
And yes, on a scale
from one to over-trusting I am ... pretty damn naive
I
came into this job very wide-eyed, high off of my institute experience and
believing that I could succeed in the classroom. I believed I could handle
anything the kids threw at me (figuratively) but was never expecting it to
be a literal reality. I had the confidence that I was going to change
someone's life. I told myself that this is where I was meant to be; that my
life was finally falling into place, and that I was going to be strong enough
to do whatever it takes to make my kids successful. Hell, was I
wrong.
But
getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to remind your lungs how
much they like the taste of air.
There have been more days than I care to admit
that I have thought to myself, "I could just walk away." Self
preservation, if you will, to save myself from the panic attacks and the
dread in my head saying "you'll never make it thru." That, my friends,
is a real struggle. And on those days when I do get onto of bed, and
simply survive the day, I look back. I realize that if nothing else, I did
survive. Is that enough for the rest of my life? No. But those are the days
that I have to remind myself that are things outside of my job, things
that I have done and seen and can do, that my kids cannot or have not yet. 9
times out of 10, it depresses me. I remember sitting in the Dublin Airport a
year ago, working on this same blog, and never expecting my life to be
here a year later. But that is what it is.
And
those are the very days you have all the more reason to say “thank you,” ‘cause
there is nothing more beautiful than the way the ocean refuses to stop kissing
the shoreline no matter how many times it’s sent away.
These
kids deserve a hurricane of change. That's what it's going to take to get
them where they need to be. It has to be huge, furious, and impact them for
years to come.
Like
the ocean, I have to keep crashing in. It may turn me into foam, dragging the
debris of the lives I impact, but I am simply following the current. And
grain by grain, the beach is shaped and molded. I'm by no means a hurricane-
I'm a gentle, rolling surf. That means that my flat beach will take a
hell of a lot longer to become a dune. And regardless of how much the
beach changes, I an changing the ocean each time I take some sand back
with me.
You
will put the “wind” in win some lose some, you will put the “star” in starting
over and over, and no matter how many land mines erupt in a minute be sure your
mind lands on the beauty of this funny place called life.
With all the pressure of this job, I forget
that life is really beautiful. I forget how blessed I truly have been. It's so
much easier for me to slip into my old mental struggle. I will by no
means ever be free, I know that. And it has been defeating me the past few
months, and I'm sure it will again. It's then that I begin turning to
those I know who know me best, to give me hope that the my inverted life will
one day be set right again. And then I remember, that that is what
most of my students are probably feeling, too. They have their very own
struggles that they have to fight with all the time. They are much younger
than me (almost 10 years- wow) and dealing with things that several people
three times their age would fall apart dealing with. They have forgotten that
there are positive things in the world. So that is my next challenge-to remind
them, and myself, that it will all be okay.

Bless you, Beth. I guarantee that next year will be a lot better. Love, Granddad
ReplyDelete