So another week has gone by. Time is completely
slithering away. I would say slipping,
but that indicates that I am trying to hold on to it. Slithering, however, is a
more accurate description. I could try to chase it and grab it and hold on to
it, but I’m letting it go.
I have really loved my time here in Ireland- but I am ready to be surrounded by
people who love me. If there were a way to bring them all here, that would be
perfect.
 |
| Author Kevin Barry reading from his short stories |
Thursday night ISA went to see our dear Chelsea perform a
lead role in the student-run production “Reefer Madness”. It’s a great
musical/parody of a political film made in the 1940’s (or 50’s?) about the
dangers of marijuana. It was such a fun production, and so well done. There was
so much talent! I can’t even imagine how amazing “RENT” will be in the
spring. I wish I could have been in RENT, or at least be able to see it. Seeing
the production, however, made me wish I had gotten better involved. I mean I am
involved with choir, but I am as close with those people as I would have liked.
I haven’t made nearly as many close Irish friends as I thought I would, and I
wish I had chosen to dedicate myself to something like a play that would have
been intense and dedicated and consuming. It made me sad that I am out of time
to do that.
This Friday I traveled by myself to Waterford. I was a bit
worried about how the day would go- I woke up that morning with a hip out of
place, a burn on my leg from my hot water bottle, and the inability to fully
extend my knee. I was concerned that I wouldn’t make the walk to campus, let
alone catch the train that afternoon. I made it, however. It was a bittersweet
Friday, because it was my last Friday class. That is the class that I most
enjoyed here, and I am sad that it is over. On the plus side, I still have a
paper to write for them, so it’s not truly over yet! Thank goodness…
But in all seriousness, that was the most intense and invigorating class I have
experienced probably in all my college career. It was amazing to have such
passionate professors- not one, but two of them, and so knowledgeable on their
subjects. I was even paid a compliment by one of them- I was going over my last
paper topic and making sure he approved of it, and he said “After seeing your
first paper, I’m not worried about you. I’m looking forward to reading it.” That
definitely put a spring in my limp of the day. I managed to gimp home and caught the train
promptly at 3:05 after class. When I arrived in Dublin station I got myself a
little treat- a cookie hot chocolate. I thought it was just the name of the hot
chocolate. Oh nay nay- it had actual cookies in it- what? And, I got a free
chocolate out of it. Mmmhmm, the sign of a good day.
I arrived at Waterford
safely and checked in to my accommodation. I stayed at a lovely little
B&B called the Anchorage Inn, right on the waterfront. I even had a
river-facing view, and my choice of a double or single bed in the room. Having
a double-bed to myself is a joy I had forgotten. And all of the hot water I
could want. Ahhh, hot showers. Again, it’s the simple pleasures. Woke up the next day refreshed and had
breakfast with all my friends!
Yeah, that happened. I then roamed down the Quay with camera
out and at the ready. Before I knew it, I had found the clock tower, the
marina, and Reginald Tower, the only Viking Tower in Ireland. Pretty cool,
right? It was also attacked by Strongbow, you know, the guy the hard cider is
named after. Then, I wandered upon the Waterford Crystal store. WOW- what an
experience. I intended on going anyways, but I didn’t realize that I was heading
straight for it when I left the hotel that morning. The store and the
merchandise were gorgeous and I got real pleasure out of seeing these beautiful
works of art. After that I did a bit of exploring around Waterford. I tried to
see St. Paul’s Cathedral, but it seemed closed to visitors that day. What a
bummer- you all know how much I love churches. I also saw the Theatre Royal
(which sadly didn’t have anything going on that night) and I waved at the
Bishops museum. I more than likely would have enjoyed it, but at this point in
the semester I am a bit museumed out. Instead, I headed to the shopping
centers.
 |
| The clock tower |
 |
| The other side of Waterford |
 |
| The marina |
 |
| The Tower |
 |
| So cool! |
 |
| The Theatre Royal |
 |
| Just a church- pretty, but no idea which one |
 |
| There it is! |
 |
| Yep- taste of home right here! |
 |
| They had JUST finished their Christmas display layout. There were crystal glasses in the trees. Amazing |
 |
| It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! |
 |
| St. Paul's Cathedral- and a man playing with a puppy :) |
 |
| I've got a latta love (bahaha...ha) Gingerbread Latte! |
I did a bit of window shopping and generally just roamed around. I of
course found a great little chocolate shop and indulged just a bit
J I also found a coffee
shop serving Gingerbread Lattes. Oh the tastes of the holidays! I ventured back
towards the square to look at the local market. Then, all of the sudden… there
were people. People- everywhere. I thought at first it was just a mini-parade.
Boy oh boy was I wrong. I got caught smack-dab in the middle of a gigantic
health care protest.


I quickly got anxious and overwhelmed, so I decided it was a good time to head
back to the B&B for some R&R. Only one problem to that- the B&B was
a great price, but as the owner informed me when I came downstairs as a
popcicle -after an hour in my room and about 15 min trying to get the heater
working- that at the prices they charge, they can’t afford to run the heat
during the day and that it would come on at 7. This was at 5pm. So. Very.
Cold. I burrowed under as many blankets
as I could and layered myself into jeans and sweatpants and jackets, but those
only help if you already have body heat. So I whipped out the laptop. I knew
that thing would generate some heat for me. I then finished one of my 5 papers.
That was such a good feeling!! Then, I went out and had dinner with a hot date
at a lovely little café….
 |
| Yummy food! Salmon, mash, and veggies :) |
 |
| Meet Mr. Handsome.... |
 |
| Paper time :) |
At first I was massively looking forward to traveling alone.
I was going to prove to everyone that I am fine with being on my own. I can be
every once in a while and I definitely enjoyed being on my own schedule. And being
able to shower when I wanted to or needed to, being able to focus on my papers
alone and have some me time was great. But- there are few things more
depressing than sitting on your own in a tiny restaurant surrounded by families
or couples on a Saturday night, out celebrating birthdays or anniversaries or
simply the fact that they are not alone. I can laugh it off most of the time,
but Saturday night I was just wishing I had a friend there with me. So I
decided I would go make a friend in Waterford. After paying, I headed out to a
local pub where they were playing live traditional music. The place was called
T.H. Doohlan’s. and boy was that interesting. I had a good time, but yet again
my weirdo magnet was in full swing. Between the 48 year old who backed off when
he found out that I was only 21 and the severely drunk Irishman who decided to
debate American politics with me, I decided that maybe it was better to be
alone at the time… and then I turned and saw this on the wall
 |
| Ignore the RT- it says WAR EAGLE on the other side!!! |
Yes, I had a War Eagle moment in the coastal Irish town of
Waterford. On one hand, awesome! On another hand, homesickness. No one else in
the pub understood why I was so excited about this dollar. I decided to pack it
in and call it a night. I was very happy to make it back to the B&B and
discover the heat was in fact on for the night. It was the best news all day.
 |
| Waterford At Night |
 |
| Artistic Waterford at night |
This morning I slept in and got myself organized to travel
back to Galway. I checked out at about 11 and headed in to town to sit at a
coffee shop and study for a little while before my 3:05 train. I got a crème
brulee latte and was insanely productive. I have a plan to be done with the
next essay by Tuesday, another by Friday, another by next Monday, and then one
by next Thursday. Then the last one isn’t due until Dec 3rd, so that
will be a breeze. Plus, I have to figure out the best way to work the library. They
only allow you to check out 5 books at a time, and aren’t open 24/7, nor do
they allow coffee or food. And boy, are they strict on it- trust me, I’ve seen
people kicked out for it. Oh RBD, I never thought I’d miss you and your odd
ways.
 |
| Creme brulee latte :D |
So as I write this I am on the train back to Galway. My cart is full of young children and three poor mothers. DIsney on Ice was in Dublin this past weekend, and I am very glad that I didn't end up going. These kids are your typical kids- hyped up on ice cream and their moms got them every Disney toy available at the show. As soon as one starts playing with a toy, the other wants it. As soon as the moms get one seated, another one is up and running about. One has a meltdown while another shouts and one throws a toy while another gets it stuck in her hair. I miss being that age, when I wouldn't be mondo stressed about papers, but the biggest concern in the world was whether or not I'd make it to level 40 on my gameboy and homework was only a worksheet or two a night.
I need to spend the rest of the journey working on my
papers while I am still motivated and have nothing else to do.Wish me luck for concentration. I bid you all
adieu. And here are some festive photos- since there's no Thanksgiving here, everything is getting decked out for Christmas already. I am so in the spirit- besides, "I'll be home, for Christmas" <3 and I may or may not be listening to Bob River's Twisted Christmas CD collection- have I mentioned I have the best parents ever? Happy Holidays!
No comments:
Post a Comment