So, here we are again. This week has had its ups most definitely, but it has also had its downs, I will admit. Last Sunday night, as I told you last week, we celebrated Paul's birthday at The Quays pub. That was grand and I ate so much chocolately fudge cake that I was almost sick, but it was worth it! It's the rest of the week that has kicked my rear end. I will divide it up so that anyone who wants to skip the negatives can (I know I wish I could have!) "Ac-cent-u-ate the positive, E-lim-inate the negative" :)
The Downs
I stayed up on Sunday night until 5am thinking I could finish my paper that was due Wednesday (I'm such a good student). I was sadly mistaken. Woke up with a jumbled mess of a paper and a killer cold, and no voice.
Monday, I got fussed at in a class for 1) having the book required on the syllabus, 2) actually doing the reading, and 3) having an opinion on the reading when she asked if anyone had any comments. Seriously? First of all, the book I (and about 7 other people in the class) have is the one we got on our very first syllabus. When I brought up my viewpoint, she asked me to read out the part of the book it was in. I gave her the line number and read the passage, several times because she kept asking for it. I would say, "in my book, it is line so and so". She finally asked, "do you have this edition?" I said no, and she snapped and said "You should have told me that. (which I had, several times). I told you all to get this book, you have the wrong one." About 7 of us held up our edition and said, "No, the syllabus says this one" (I will add that by Wednesday's class, she had our edition with her). Then she was upset at me because "we hadn't gotten to that section of the book in discussion yet," although she made a character judgement and asked if we agreed, so I pointed out the passage and said, "but here, so-and-so does this, which counteracts this." I didn't realize that class discussions had book limits. It's not as if I had ruined the ending for everyone or read ahead or even brought up an irrelevant point-we were all supposed to have already read the play before class. On top of that, people would answer her questions and she would not hear them and then continuously ask us the same question. After a while we stopped responding, and then she would tell us the "answer", which was the exact thing someone else had said. Also, for the rest of class, she would say, "but as Beth already pointed out,".... I was pretty pissed off.
On Monday I also skipped my first class of the semester (sorry mom and dad) because I felt so terrible. Instead I came home, took a nap, and kept working on my paper. I was sure I would get it done and be able to relax on Tuesday... well, then we watched Steel Magnolias. Never thought I'd say I'd miss the south, but I did just a tiny bit watching that movie. Anyways, stayed up late Monday night as well, until 3am. Did not help my cold at all.
Tuesday was rough because I felt dreadful, and was up again late to finally finish the paper. The only problem? I hadn't remembered that my library books were due that day... oops.
Wednesday was the roughest. I woke up hacking a lung up, and woke up an hour and half BEFORE my alarm. Thanks to the cold, I couldn't get back to sleep. I managed to finish the paper in a timely manner no problems (300 words over the limit....), but then I had a freezing cold shower, and my phone broke. The LED screen was cracked- not good for a touch screen phone. 79 euros down the drain... frustrations ensued. Luckily I was able to get a new phone, at full price.
Thursday, I got caught in some freezing cold rain walking home. Roisin said, "Don't worry, it only gets worse through the winter." Goodie. And, yet another 2.50 down the drain- the dryers at our apt complex are terrible. So I left my clothes to hang out all night. Not only were my poor roommates exposed to my undergarments, that means I had to put off packing for Scotland until Friday morning- stress!
The UPS!
Well, Sunday I made another new friend! Roisin's sister, Louise, came for a visit. She's a real sweetheart.
On Monday, we cleaned the house top-to-bottom. Sure, I don't exactly love cleaning, but who doesn't get satisfaction out of a spick and span home? Also, Monday night I got to relax a little bit and watch Steel Magnolias (a reiteration for anyone who read the Downs part) but here, I'm going to tell you guys how fun it was to point out the truth in the southern stereotypes. I also loved that Roisin and Louise love this movie as much as I do. I also ate more chocolate and had a hot cuppa tea- how can you go wrong with that??
On Tuesday Louise, Roisin, and I had a mini bake fest. The results were chocolate rice crispie balls, walnut fudge (of sorts), and gluten free chocolate brownies with ganache on top! We also passed inspection with flying colors. Our sheet is displayed on the fridge like a kindergardener's art work. To top off the day, I had my only class of the day cancelled. I didn't find out until I was already on campus, but still fun news! I went straight to the gym instead, and was actually able to run for the first time in weeks. No joint pain or anything :D While at the gym, I found someone's cell phone in a machine and turned it in. I know the guy got it back because he came looking for it while I was still running. I told him in my sexy way (aka flailing like a fish out of water for air and to keep my balance) that I had turned it in. He thanked me and made a quick exit. Can't say I blame him, I'm not one of the sexy workout girls. I don't wear makeup and sweat like a pig when I work out. Tuesday night I finished my paper- a full 12 hours before due date! And it's a darn good one! (I hope...)
Wednesday I finally got to cook my soup. It was thrilling. It is homemade, and it's a recipe I just sort of winged. I'm calling it "Pumpkin Pie Soup", because that's exactly what it tastes like. Veggie stock, boiled butternut squash, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spices, milk. That's pretty much it. It turned out beautifully- yay! I also had a delicious chai latte at another new cafe in town, and finally got some lotion and a scented candle (because, I'm worth it!) No, actually it's to cover up when the kitchen smells and this whole cold weather for more than a month thing is doing a number to my hands. I also had my favorite late-night class (my negotiating identities). Is it weird that I think that one of my teachers for this class would be awesome as a grandfather? He's about 65 or so with a great deep soothing voice and a lot of stories to tell. He is always pleasant, very opinionated but also open minded, encourages us in discussion, has us read aloud, and whenever he reads the poems or stories aloud, he does the little voices for the different characters. Yeah, he's kind of awesome. If I had to have an evening class twice this semester, I'm really glad it was my negotiating identities class. Isn't it funny how the class I dreaded turned out to be my favorite class of all? I'll be very sad when it's over in 4 weeks :( Wednesday night Jessie and Sam came over and hung out with Mary and Roisin and me. We watched "Just My Luck", ate soup, and played the wii. Just the night I needed after a crazy few days.
Thursday night was super cool. We went and listened to a Scottish storyteller at the Cottage Bar in Salthill. It was awesome- we are going again this week to hear some ghost stories for Halloween 0.o Lord hep me- I'm such a baby. Anyways, if you ever have a chance to see a professional storyteller, do it. It is just like being a little kid and having a bedtime story read to you. You get completely wrapped up in the world being created- plus, everyone deserves a good night out with candles and a little bit of magic :)
And now, what you've all really been waiting for....
My Weekend in Edinburgh!!
This Friday Rachel and I left to explore one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen- Edinburgh, Scotland. After yet another wonderful negotiating identities class (seriously, love that class) we took the bus to the airport, and after a crazy bit of security- AKA 2 lines open for a Friday night... - and some Burger King (first fast food of Ireland), we boarded RyanAir, which actually went really smoothly. We caught the bus to our beautiful hostel, the Castle Rock Hostel, which is located at the foot of Edinburgh Castle
Cool, right?
There was no time to waste. After checking in and putting our things in the room, we headed out for a pint and to plan our route of attack for our one day in the city. Originally, we were going to spend the whole day doing genealogical research... yeah, that didn't happen. When we opened up that map and saw all there was to do and see, we immediately regretted our 8am departure on Sunday. One day is simply not enough! We wanted to find somewhere with live music- the only place at 1030 on a Friday night that had seats was, of course, an Irish pub. We spread our maps across the table and began mapping out our routes for the next day. Cue cute foreigners here. A lovely young Scottish lad and his suave Spanish compadre saw our plight and decided to help us out. They pulled up a chair and began chatting away. Very cute, I may add. A great start to the night :) They told us some of the best places to go and how close everything really was, so that was really helpful. The Scottish people are so friendly. Some people saw that Rachel and I were a bit lost and were more than happy to point us in the right direction. The only problem- the accent was really thick, so we had to ask for a couple of repeats. We packed it in early Friday night, although we were incredibly tempted by the "World Famous Frankenstein Night Club" to be refreshed and ready for our big day Saturday. But we did snap a few night shots.
 |
| Beautiful city |
 |
| Cannot believe that this is real life |
 |
| Salted caramel latte |
Saturday began after breakfast at our hostel. We managed to get some Starbucks (as usual, because I'm a coff-a-holic) and then went down the Royal Mile. At the end was the Queen's Gallery, which is right in front of the palace where Queen Elizabeth II resides when she's in Scotland. NBD. We then hiked up to Calton Hill, where you can view all of Edinburgh. The views- spectacular. We then explored an old cemetery where some great old names were buried, heard some bagpipes, went to the National Gallery, Edinburgh Castle, and then we had a true Scottish lunch. Rachel, the brave soul, ordered a full meal of haggis with neeps and tatties (turnips and potatoes) and I had Yorkshire pudding. Both were thoroughly delicious, as much as I hate to admit that sheep's stomach was wonderful (yes, you inquiring minds, that is what haggis is). Anyways, if you're non-vegitarian, you should give it a shot. Don't hate it till you ate it (horrible grammar, creative phrase- don't judge). We went to the Museum of Scotland and viewed an exhibit or two, but there was enough to stay in there for 5 hours. After all of that, we were pretty dang exhausted. We went back to the hostel to nap and refresh, and then went back out to roam down the royal mile again and do a bit of shopping. I got Christmas presents for a few people, and then I got a stellar ring for my middle finger. I have been looking for one for years, so that was exciting.
We saw so many beautiful buildings, it felt like something out of a fairytale. Funny that I should say that, because then we got down to the super exciting part of the evening- the Harry Potter tour and the Double Dead Edinburgh tour.
 |
| That's a cafe- can you believe it? |
 |
| Doctor Who? WHAT???? |
 |
| Still Boldly Going |
 |
| He's trollin along |
 |
| The Queen's home |
 |
| The QUEEN'S HOME! |
 |
| So cute :) |
 |
| Childhood |
 |
| The overlook from Calton Hill |
 |
| The Castle |
 |
| It's just so stunning! |
 |
| Another view of the city |
 |
| Bagpiping |
 |
| In front of the castle! |
 |
| Overlooking the city |
 |
| Yorkshire Pudding |
 |
| Haggis!! |
 |
| First bite of haggis- yummy |
 |
| Greyfriar's Bobby. |
 |
| This city cannot be real |
 |
| St. Giles Cathedral |
 |
| Fudge Shop |
 |
| The Symbol of Edinburgh |
 |
| Artsy photo of my new ring |
 |
| Rubbing the philosopher's toe for good luck! |
 |
| More beautiful monuments |
HARRY FREAKIN POTTER TOUR!
 |
| Wands! |
The walking Harry Potter tour was stellar, and everything a geek like me could want. Wands, the original cafe where the first book was penned, the school that Hogwarts was modeled after, and Tom Riddle's grave. Holy geez. You wanna talk about geeking out. It was an understatement. Our leader, Becky, was so much fun and even "stopped at Honeydukes to get us sweets" for the middle of the tour. We saw where J.K. Rowling's handprints were and even the inspiration for Diagon Alley. Lots of pictures to follow.
 |
| The nameplate JK Rowling got Prof. McGonagall's name from. |
 |
| The school that she got the idea of Hogwarts from. They even have 4 houses, with individual colors! |
 |
| Thomas Riddells's grave. There is a father and son here, both named Thomas Riddell. She changed the spelling a bit, but here's where the idea was born! |
 |
| LIES! The real cafe was further down, although JK Rowling does frequent this cafe when she's in town. You can also sign up to be part of Dumbledore's Army in the women's bathroom here. Brilliant |
 |
| Possible model for Diagon Alley? |
 |
| Her handprints |
 |
| Maybe one day I'll be a successful as she is! |
 |
| Yup, still going! |
Rachel and I then had dinner at Greyfriars Bobby. Some more Scottish dishes, like sausage and mash and I had some type of butternut beetroot casserole. Then we topped it off with a banoffee sundae. Try one if you ever get the chance- no joke. Life-changing.
 |
| Banoffee Sundae |
Now at dinner, Rachel and I made a disturbing discovery. There was a really cute picture of the two of us in front of Tom Riddle's grave that was on my camera. That picture somehow got deleted-still no explanation as to what happened to it. We had the brilliant idea to pop back in the dark cemetery alone at 9:35 pm to recreate the photo. Then we sprinted to the double dead ghost tour. I don't want to ruin this tour for anyone who goes on it, but if you want more info on how spooky this thing is, look up the history of the underground city of Edinburgh, as well as the history of Greyfriar's Graveyard- home of the Mackenzie poltergeist. (Actually, I'll make it easier on you. Here's the link with the history http://www.edinburghnotes.com/ghosts/mackenzie-poltergeist.html ). This graveyard is the same one Rachel and I popped back in to when we wanted to get the picture. My big camera wouldn't take the photo. My little camera did, but I have to wonder if maybe the poltergeist was messing with us just a bit....
 |
| Rachel thought she saw something moving up the hill, hence her scared face |
 |
| I wanted to hurry up and get out of there, hence my petrified face |
Anyways, the underground city was easily the scariest thing I have ever been in in my entire life- I was near tears halfway through the tour. I'm sure it was just my imagination, but cold spots are freaky as mess. I thought I felt one on my arm and it scared me to death. We were told that cold spots were the precursor to a poltergeist attack- and yes, they have attacked before. People will leave these tours with random bite marks or scratch marks that they have no recollection of receiving. You can't say you wouldn't be a little freaked out at the thought of being trapped in a cold dark tavern under the city streets with something that could possibly harm you and there's nothing you could do about it. I'll tell you right now, I was whispering prayers under my breath. Scary scary stuff. Afterwards, they led us back to Greyfriars Graveyard. This part was much more history than scare- until we got to the old prison and the mausoleum. That, my friends is the home of the MacKenzie poltergeist. He is a vicious little one. He goes after people. And I was relieved to get through the tour without anything happening. The tour in and of itself is also brilliant; our guide, David, was both hilarious and a wonderful storyteller, and there is so much history that accompanies the hauntings. Definitely well worth it if ever you venture to Edinburgh.
 |
| Blurry, but pre-ghost tour. Say goodbye, world! |
Today was anti-climactic. Woke up, caught a bus, a plane, another bus, and arrived home safe and sound. No scratches or bite marks to report that I know of, although I am too scared to look everywhere. I put away some clothes, typed my blog, and now time to sleep. Until next week, after our FRANCE TRIP!!!!! Ahhh!! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment